Parent Billed Schools
Learn to sing and play with Gwent Music!
Your child’s school has chosen us to deliver music lessons. This is a brief summary of how you can access all you need, and what we offer in addition.
Music education is known to have many benefits in terms of positive impact on children’s education and well-being. Learning a musical instrument improves confidence, concentration, fine motor skills, as well as impacting on general learning outcomes across all subjects and social mobility.
Your school will have chosen an individual prospectus of tuition, but we can help with all aspects related to your child’s choice.
- Choosing an instrument—if your child is unsure we can arrange a trial session/assessment
- Acquiring an instrument—we have a small stock of certain instruments available to hire as part of our Instrument Loan Scheme, or if you wish to buy you will be able to access our Assisted Instrument Purchase Scheme with a saving on VAT, once you sign up for lessons
- Additional experiences—once your child has begun lessons, they will be able to access one of our Music Centres, these are a great way for them to experience playing with other musicians, and gain valuable extra support with note reading whilst having fun and making friends
- Progression—once your child is more advanced, we have a full range of County Groups which cater for those wishing to play at a higher standard. Pupils are nominated and can audition for these when ready
- Examinations—when your child is ready, their teacher may suggest that they enter for an external exam. Gwent Music hosts and supports various different boards and offers supplementary tuition for accompaniment, aural and theory that can be of benefit in preparing your child.
Please view our terms and conditions before completing enrolment.
- Children are taught in groups of between 2 and 4 children for 20 to 30 minutes each week depending on numbers and the mix of standards and instruments.
- Tuition is available on a wide range of instruments.
- 34 sessions will be delivered over the school year.
- The cost for small group tuition is payable in 3 installments of £65 per term.
- Individual tuition is also available at a cost of
- £130 per term for 20 minute weekly sessions or
- £195 per term for 30 minute weekly sessions.
- These charges apply for the academic year 2019/20.
- It may be possible, subject to availability, for your child to borrow a Gwent Music instrument.
In order to enrol please follow the instructions below:
- Go to gwentmusic.co.uk/parent.
- If you already have a Gwent Music Parent Portal account then login as usual otherwise click “Create an Account” and follow the instructions.
- Click on “Enrol for an Activity”.
- Select “ALL”
- Click Music Tuition and select “YOUR CHILD’S SCHOOL” then click “Next”.
- Select the instrument your child would like to learn and choose the type of lesson, then click “Next” and complete your child’s details.
- You will finally be taken to the Newport City Council payments web page to make payment for the first term. If you enroling mid way through a term a credit will be applied after enrolment, or lessons will be carried forward.
In order for us to plan tutor timetables, please enrol as soon as possible.
Starter Guides for a range of instruments are available at http://www.gwentmusic.co.uk/hints-tips/. You can find more details of our services and activities at http://www.gwentmusic.co.uk/ or by emailing .